Speech and Debate
The Austintown Fitch Speech and Debate team is a long standing tradition at Austintown Fitch High School, where they hold 4 state titles. The team is considered one of the top competitive teams in the district and consists of hardworking and classy students. The Fitch Speech and Debate team have a lot to be proud about. Below, we have highlighted just some of the outstanding facts about this team:
- Each year, Austintown Fitch competes in competition amongst 16+ high schools in the Youngstown District. Fitch usually averages to place within the top three or better at each tournament and each year, Fitch takes an average of 20+ students to the state tournament.
- This year (2011-2012) the Austintown Fitch Speech and Debate team was recognized in the top 10% of the nation’s high school speech teams. Last year Fitch was recognized with the leading chapter award. This award, which is based on student participation, went to just 105 of the nearly 3,000 member schools nationwide. (They were the only school in the Youngstown Area to receive this award this year).
- At the state competition 90 schools competed and Fitch had 1 state finalist, Lauran Ferguson, (top 6 in the state), 2 semifinalists, Dan Ferguson and Jake Clasen, (top 12 in the state), and 10 quarter finalists (top 24 in the state).
- They had 3 students qualify to the National tournament in Indianapolis, Indiana in June: Dan Ferguson and Jake Clasen in Duo Interpretation and Caitlin Beckett in US Extemp.
- The team is very lucky to have a VERY experienced coaching staff…some of whom have earned some prestigious honors themselves and have been voted and elected into prestigious offices in the district.
This year on March 27 at 6:00 in the Fitch auditorium, the Speech Team will put on its 4th annual Speech Night, where all of the state qualifiers present their speeches.
Posted on Mon, April 16, 2012
by Stephanie Brinkman