The student council completes several service projects each year, with the main goal to try and instill values of service and helping those less fortunate. Student Council focus on people in need ranging from the community and local areas to places all over the world. They sometimes do projects specifically related to children, so the students can relate more. The members of student council plan and help to execute the projects, but we involve all the students in the school, in order to spread the importance of helping others throughout the school. This is a truly worthwhile organization for students to become involved in at Austintown Middle School.
Projects the Student Council was involved in the 2011-2012 school year were:
- Hat Day to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October - $432 raised, which will be donated to the new Joannie Abdu Breast Cancer center.
- Operation Christmas Child - collected items to fill shoe boxes to send gifts to needy children all over the world. They filled and donated 104 boxes this year.
- Koins for Kids - They raised $600, which was donated to Akron Children's Hospital Mahoning Valley. In conjunction with this project Student Council partnered with the Builders Club and collected items for the children at the hospital, including books, toys, games, puzzles, coloring books & crayons, etc.
- Pasta for Pennies - fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - raised and donated $1,700!
- In partnership with the Builders Club, they had a "Nerd Day" in support of Child Abuse Awareness Month in April. All donations were given to a local charity.
- Relay for Life - we will be having a fundraiser for Austintown's Relay for Life later this spring. All donations will benefit the American Cancer Society.
Posted on Mon, May 14, 2012
by Stephanie Brinkman filed under